Friday, November 16, 2018

For Want of a Lever


Greetings and salutations!
It's been a while. What with the nearly incessant rain we had for a few weeks and then my back deciding to knot up on me. Then we had the sub-freezing temperatures and my laziness. But mostly my laziness. Today, however, is a beautiful sunny day and I am less lazy.

Getting around to the part about getting the body off the car ... the first part was easy:

A few wires to the voltage regulator.

Wires from the coil and the sneaky one going down to the oil pressure sender.
I also got the gas tank out which was bone dry so no need to plug it and no need to dispose of the old gas. It might be rusty in there though but that's for later. Tried getting the steering column off but it simply would not let go. I've looked at some references and I am doing it correctly, it's just good and stuck. I doused it real good with some WD-40 and will get back to it later.


I got the clamp off and marked the position but it won't budge.
Having failed at that, I moved to the roughly one billion bolts holding the body to the frame. The two in the trunk came out pretty well. They weren't frozen but it's pretty apparent that they have been there for 55 years! I loosened the two large bolts by the right front tire. They are a lot tighter but also not frozen. The first of the smaller bolts also started coming out. This is where I started to realize that the ratchet I was using was not going to cut it. I have a horrible habit of losing tools. Obviously, these are the tools I use the most. I don't have a 1/2" ratchet driver and I am missing quite a few sockets and a bunch of wrenches. I definitely need more torque if I am to get these bolts off.


No comments:

Post a Comment